Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Interesting Anime Academic Books I am Reading


I just finished reading two books named; Mechademia Volume 1; Emerging Worlds of  Anime and Manga and Fandom Unbound: Otaku Culture In a Connected World.

I really enjoyed these two books. As I may have mentioned that I have a big interest in anime culture giving I come from a strong anime background, being part of con organising for the last 6 years and have been cosplaying for six years I am fascinated to learn more on what anime culture has to offer. Also giving I studied Cultural studies for my BA degree these books were very interesting as they touched on a sense of belonging in the community and on cultural terminology. I really wish I had these books alot sooner when I was doing my Cultural studies degree.

Both books have fascinating articles written by many academic and cultural lecturers and anime fans who are current anime academics.  Mechademia Volume 1 highlights the artistic element to anime and composition such as deep stories and character development and camera angles, while Fandom Unbound focuses more on the wide anime culture and how we are living in a digital age and being connected through conventions, Doujin circles, cosplay and the internet. One of the most fascinating chapters from this book was the first chapter on Train Otaku, this was new to me.

If you are into these sorta book I highly would recommend them. I know want to order and read more of the Mechademia series and more academic books on anime.

Here you watch and download the full video footage which would give you a taster of the Fandom Unbound: Otaku Culture In a Connected World.


No comments:

Post a Comment